PE & Sports Grant
At Newburgh C.E. Primary School, we value the role of physical activity on the health and well-being of our pupils. We actively encourage all children to engage in a variety of sports and have strong links with West Lancashire Sports Partnership and local clubs to be able to continue the offer we provide at our school. Our aim is to develop our children as active, healthy individuals who make active choices for life.
Our primary school sport's funding enables us to continue and extend our provision through increased resources, employing sports professionals to work with the classes and training our staff to deliver in-house quality P.E. sessions.
What is the P.E. and Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and will see money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and P.E. for all children. Each school currently receives £16,000 plus £10 per pupil each year. The money can only be spent on sport and P.E. provision in schools.
The government have committed to funding the primary school Sports Premium for academic year 2022-2023. PE and Sport Premium for Primary Schools.
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School's Sports Funding page.
Purpose of the Funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of P.E. and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist P.E. teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching P.E.
- New or additional sport and well-being clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in P.E./sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in P.E./sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for P.E./sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential vists.
The following document details the grant received for the 2022-2023 academic year and the impact of this funding: