Our PE curriculum is designed to inspire all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. We firmly believe that opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
Through our alliance with West Lancashire School Sports Partnership, our curriculum is designed to ensure our pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
Pupils in Key Stage 2 attend the local swimming pool for lessons and presently Upper Key Stage 2 children have the opportunity to experience outdoor pursuits during an activity residential.
Children in Key Stage 2 attend swimming lessons with swimming coaches at Tarleton Academy. We aim for children to leave Newburgh School at the end of Year 6 with the following proficiencies:
1) Able to swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres.
2) Use a range of strokes effectively (for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke).
3) Able to perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
Children need to bring swimming costume/trunks, swimming hat, towel, goggles (if needed) in a named plastic bag.
For the Academic year 2022-2023 Year 5 and 6 children will attend swimming on Thursday afternoons from 22nd September until 24th November 2022. Years 3 and 4 will attend swimming on Thursday afternoons from 1st December until 9th February. Those children in Years 5 and 6 who do not meet our proficiencies will continue to attend swimming lessons with Years 3 and 4. If your child is a reluctant swimmer it may help to go swimming as a family to support the development of their confidence in the water to help them meet the essential criteria as quickly as possible.